We only moved from Wellington just over a year ago but my gosh it seems like a lifetime ago. We were pre-baby, living right next to town with a magnificent view overlooking the beautiful harbour. We used to just stroll on down to the centre of town and go to one of the many amazing eateries right at our door step. Life is most definitely very different now with a little 10 month old to chase around!!
One of our 'locals' was this funky American-style diner at the bottom of our road that did the most ah-mazing Reese's peanut butter chocolate milkshakes.
I've been feeling rather nostalgic recently and missing our Wellingtonian mates and local haunts so I thought I might recreate a little piece of our windy city life by making Chocolate Peanut Chia Puddings as a healthified homage to our Welly life.
This pudding is gluten-free, vegan, and plant based but you could never tell it's full of goodness because it tastes positively sinful. It's rich and nutty and chocolately. The stuff that dreams are made of.
It's also a total breeze whip up. You do need to do a tiny bit of prep the night before and have a good blender but it takes no time whatsoever. You can also make it well ahead of time so is absolutely perfect for dinner parties.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Puddigserves 4
1/2 cup chia seeds
2 1/2 cups coconut cream + around 2 Tablespoons extra for topping
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
5 Tablespoons natural smooth peanut butter
4 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
chopped roasted peanuts for topping
Optional: if you are feeling a bit naughty ~ drizzle of chocolate syrup (you can use store bought or see recipe below)
1. The night before: in a container mix together the chia seeds and 2 1/2 cups coconut cream. Cover and leave to soak overnight. Also make the chocolate sauce so it has time to cool if you are using it.
2. Pour the chia coconut cream mixture into your blender. Add cocoa powder, peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla and blend until smooth.
3. If you are using chocolate sauce, drizzle some chocolate sauce down the sides of four small jars first. Then carefully spoon the peanut butter chia pudding into the jars and top with around 1-2 teaspoons of coconut cream (and a little extra chocolate sauce) and the chopped peanuts just before serving.
Homemade chocolate syrupmakes ~ 2 cups
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
1. In a small saucepan whisk cocoa powder, sugar and salt to get rid of the lumps then whisk in the water.
2. Bring the mixture to boil over high heat then lower to medium heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring regularly as it can bubble over. Take off the heat and allow to cool. It will thicken on cooling.
3. Pour into a clean glass jar. Once completely cooled, store in the refrigerator.